Thursday 8 October 2009

Evaluation of practise for media

Magazine

In media we were asked to find a magazine cover on the internet and to then try and recreate the magazine by taking our own photos and then using photo shop to create the magazine.

The magazine cover that I and my group created followed magazine convention which was the mid shot of Messi. Also the colours used are a magazine convention because very few colour used because a magazine is only supposed to have two or three main colour on the font cover of a magazine. The colours used in our magazine are yellow and black. The magazine also follows the mater head which should go across the whole page, which our magazine does

The cover lines used in the magazine entice the audience because the words used are eye catching which makes the reader want to read more so if the cover lines are small and not worded very well then this will not encourage the audience to read more so the cover lines need to be good, I feel that the cover lines used in our magazine are eye catching because it has offers on the cover which a lot of people may want to look into the offers that are advertised, so the cover lines work quite well

The colour pallet used in the magazine suits the target audience because the colours used are colours that are used a lot in football for example the green which represents the grass on a football pitch. Black and yellow are used in the front cover because the black stands out which makes it more attractive also the yellow makes the cover more warm because yellow is a hot colour whereas the black is a cold colour so it has warm and cold colours

I feel that our created magazine cover would probably only interest regular readers or subscribers, or it might interest football fans because it is a football magazine so it would attract fans of the game. I know that the magazine would appeal to fans and regular readers because the main picture used is one of Lionel Messi who is a footballer for Barcelona, so it would not appeal to somebody who does not know who he is

Having created a magazine cover I have learnt that it is important make sure that all the writing used is eye catching to the reader because if not then it would not attract reader have also learnt that creating a front cover takes a lot of time to plan because if planning is not done correctly then it effect the out come because I felt that we did not plan in enough detail which has lead to the cover not being as good as it could be.

Film

In media me and my group Nick and Paul were asked to recreate a scene as best as possible from a begging scene in East Enders our task was to watch the opening clip and to then go off in our groups and to film the scene, we had one lesson to film and one lesson to edit the film. I Paul and Nick decided to film the opening scene in Auburn place because the scene that we had to recreate was inside the Queen Vick so we thought ours would have to be inside as well.

The scene that we had to film was typical of TV soap because in the scene that we had to recreate It, the reason for this is because the scene is of a typical morning in a home, this is typical of a soap because soaps are basically filming peoples daily lives within a community so this scene shows the Mitchell family in the morning which relates to their daily lives.

The camera angles used in the opening scene of East enders were a close up of the ringing phone also a moving shot is used when the camera moves away form the phone and into a close up of Peggy Mitchell. Another camera shot used is the conversation shot which is used for the conversation between Peggy and Phil in the kitchen. A wide angle shot is used in the scene when Peggy walks into the lounge to wake up the jade and Billy.

Our recreation of the East Enders opening scene went fairly well because I felt that we took time to make sure that we took time setting up the scene for example for the phone part we blue tack a mobile phone on to the wall. I also thought that the location of where our recreation took place because we looked at all the possible location and then choose the best one. We choose the location in Auburn Place because it allowed us to be able to make the best possible recreation.

The successes of our filming that I thought was the actual location of the filming because it looked similar to what we were trying to recreate, I also felt that our team work as group was a success because we agreed with each other most of the time, which then allowed us to actually produce the filming a lot faster. The Failings of our project that I felt was the editing because we struggled to understand how to use it which then resulted in us not having such a good finished product. I also felt that we could have put more time into filming because I felt that in some parts we rushed the filming due to in patience which then did not look so good when we played it back.

When we filmed our opening scene of East Enders we did not really think about lighting, and I felt that it was not very effective because as I said we did not consider lighting for some reason, however the footage that we produced did not seem to lack lighting. The only lighting that we used was the actual lights in the hall way. However next time I will make a note of considering the lighting.

During our film I have learnt bit more than I already knew about mise en sense which is basically every thing that you can see in the frame, I learnt that when making a film it is important to make sure what is in the frame is what you want not just there for no reason, and in our film I tried to incorporate this theory but I felt that our mise en sense could have been better if we had more time and a budget to work to but unfortunately we did not have either so we had to make the best.

From our film production I felt that I have learnt allot about continuity and why it is important because I have learnt that with out good continuity the end result is very poor because the footage does not flow together so it does not look. I have learnt that continuity can be made better by editing frottage because on the MACS it allowed us to manipulate our footage which improved the continuity.

In the film project I felt that the film part was good because I had no real problems apart form getting the right shots in some areas, but apart form that it went well as whole, however I feel that my editing techniques need to improve because I was not familiar with the software at first due to lack of practise. So to improve these techniques I will spend time using the software so that I am very familiar with it so that next time I am able to produce better results

Finally having gained experience in creating a print based product and a moving image product I feel that the moving object is the one that I feel the most confident doing because I found it easier to produce than the print based object because I still struggle to use photo shop well which as a result my magazine cover was not very good, however the film was a lot more easier to produce but it still had its difficulties such as getting the right shots in the film also the editing part because I have not had much experience editing on the Macs so I found it difficult at first but slowly got slightly more confident towards the end having had some practise time

No comments:

Post a Comment